Simplify



Jake asked a great question tonight, about money, as it related to current events, "When do people decide that enough is enough."  That's the big question, isn't it?  We've had this discussion countless times between Mike and I, the boys, and friends... for us it was when I graduated college and decided to not get a full time job.  I wanted (needed) to stay home with my babies.  We decided that one income would be enough for us.  We would make it work, because it was more important for me to be with our kids, than have a giant home or to accumulate more stuff.  As time went on, we let go of the pursuit for more, better, best, and came to the realization that the life we wanted was simple.  I know I've said it before, but we just want to live with the rhythms of the earth, eat good food, spend time with each other, and do work that leaves us fulfilled.  That is enough.

Simple is not easy, though.  I've been wanting to write about the topic of simplifying for six months now, trying to put our process into words.  I'm going to mull it over a little more and try to break it down into smaller posts, because it's just to much to sum up in one neat little package.  Stay tuned...



8 comments

  1. Wonderful question, wonderful post, and a great conversation I would love to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Simple is not easy yet it's not difficult either. There's a freedom that makes what seems like a tough decision exhilarating. There's nothing like the feeling of living on your own terms. Saying no to the popular culture. Can't wait to share in this conversation with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the life we are working on living but I think it is always a work in progress as we grow and change throughout our life. It can be so hard to keep the world out sometimes.
    Looking forward to reading your thoughts.
    Warmly,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be interested to hear what you have to say and to participate in this topic for sure. I have seen that "enough" differs so widely from person to person, and often it seems the more someone has, the less "enough" it all is.
    No, simple is not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to those posts as I'm heading in that direction too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, good questions. With the birth of my first babe almost a year ago now, my husband and I made the choice to be a single income house also. It was never a question for me of who was going to care for her - I am her mom, so I am. I realize that not everyone has that ability and it is something that I am thankful for every day (even the exhausting, never ending ones!) And I am always looking for ways to simplify - both material possessions and just life in general. I go on "purging rampages" where I try to get rid of things that we have not used in a while. Our local Goodwill has gotten a steady stream of donations from us over the past several years. It is amazing the clutter that builds up in our lives. Looking forward to sharing the simplification journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been simplifying for the last 9 years. But we really didn't come out of the world as much as we have now until we became Torah observant 3 years ago and began living life according to God's ways and not the world's. We keep a 7th day Sabbath, we observe the Biblical feasts, etc... its amazing how set apart it has helped us to be and things are so simple according to Him! I look forward to following these posts, it will be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great topic! I am thinking about retiring and moving to another state, I want to majorly downsize and live more simply so I am always interested in thoughts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete